Friday, March 03, 2006

Big Pimpin?

I always have an epiphany while working out at the gym. They were playing a clip of the already over-exposed Eva Longoria at her current beau's basketball game on one of the many suspended television sets and I thought, why does she annoy me so much?

Could it be her multiple product endorsements for everything from Hanes to L'Oreal? Then a light bulb went off in my head and I thought it's the Rachael Ray association combined with Oprah Winfrey. Ms. Ray is the Food Network's tiny titan who can cook you a meal in 30 minutes and laugh away while she travels the world on $40 a day.

It's something that seems so innocuous, but so sickening and sweet that you've got to make room for lunch because you're about to loose your breakfast after seeing one of them.

I also saw a clip from the Oprah Oscar episode with Terrance Howard where she asked him how he did his research for "Hustle & Flow". He said he met several pimps and cribbed from their life experiences. Oprah replied that she didn't know any pimps. Hell, she's one of the biggest pimps I know. See the following examples below in regards to Longoria and Ray.

Eva was on Oprah because she bought a house for her parents, and asked Nate Berkus to fix it up. She purchased outdooor furniture for them and her parents put it inside their house. Her mother said that she always dreamed of having a leather couch, while her father seems to prefer deer heads.

When Rachael was on Oprah and sharing some of her kitchen tips, she said, "you must have two cutting boards...the big one will last a life time...one for meat...etc.) , to which Oprah replied, "really, huh, two cutting boards?". I love it when Oprah pretends to be interested. C'mon now doesn't she have her own private chefs? If I could speculate at what was really going on in Oprah's mind it would be something like this. "Hear me now cattle, I am backing her financially, please find her fascinating, so I can make mo' money."

Now Ms. Ray has a lifestyle magazine called "Every Day with Rachael Ray". I saw a copy of it while walking through the magazine racks at Borders Books. At first I mistook it as another spin-off of the Conde-Nast lifestyle tree. (EDWRR is a Reader's Digest Association publication.) I went home and Googled it. I found the web site for this publication and found you can purchase such items as the Ladies' YUM-O! T-shirt and men's "Got EVOO?" t-shirt. "YUM-O!" is Rachael's way of describing food that's so good saying "yum" just isn't enough! What the fuck?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home