Wednesday, July 19, 2006

You and Me and Sandy B


With the extreme heatwave ebbing a bit here in Chicago, I arrived home yesterday evening and was able to open the windows and let some fresh air in. I must say I am grateful a garbage strike is not looming like it was a few years ago as there is nothing worse than the stench of sun-baked trash. Except maybe some crazed Cubs fans congregating outside Wrigley Field all ornery and drunken.

The Gay Games are in full swing here and the neighborhood is abuzz. I decided to head out Friday night and take a walk around to see what was going on. Granted you could not have paid me to wait in one of those lines. The heat was thick at 9pm and the bars along Halsted were packed. I'm getting too old for this shit, but it's amusing to see regardless.

In conjunction with the Games, Sandra Bernhard gave an intimate performance at HotHouse which my friend Alex asked me to attend. I was a bit concerned at first as I know she can be ferocious if you fall into her eyesight. A co-worker of mine said that a friend of his ran into her and a small entourage at Angelina's restaurant a few years back. The story goes that part of his ear was missing as his boyfriend had bitten it off. Disturbing I know, but better his ear than something else. He approached her table and told her how much he admired her. Within moments of him walking away she was ripping on his mutilation.

As you can imagine for me mentally it was like facing fear head on. The venue wasn't very large to begin with. I still has my work clothes on and Alex and I agreed we would try to find an inconspicuous area to sit. Being a non-profit run space, it lived up to its name, if there was a/c on it was barely noticeable. However, when she appeared she was so funny. I think most of her routine was improvisational and less structured. She culled from a variety of subjects for about an hour and a half and I never laughed so hard. Maybe it is her totally incongruous method of delivery.

I left there unscathed and I can honestly say this was a kinder, gentler Bernhard. She did find a few people in the audience to faux mock, but all told it was worth it to see her comment on her appearance on The View and Mariah Carey.

I've tried unsuccessfully to find the full length video of her with audio as it's been the talk of the town. It's been a rough couple of months for those ladies. lol. Kudos to Ms. Bernhard for speaking her mind. It was exciting to be in the presence of a true original.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home