Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Chubby Wieners

Summer will always remind me of running errands with my dad and sister. It is no wonder I like to aimlessly roam the aisles of Home Depot but why I also wax nostalgic about going to Ted's Red Hots for hot dogs. They would run their coupons in the Sunday paper and we would get our char-broiled dogs with everything on them along with a vanilla milkshake.

On one of the recent visits my parents made to Chicago, I took them to the Midwestern equivalent, the Superdawg drive-in. I think it's interesting to note that hot dogs are charcoal broiled where I grew up near Buffalo New York and that they are boiled or sweated here in Chicago. The Midwest signature being a poppy seed bun and nuclear green relish.

This brings me to a discussion my friend and colleague Paul and I were discussing. I had an errant thought for a parody on the whole Hooters restaurant draw which is based on the sex appeal of young women in white tank tops and orange shorts. Probably not the first to think of this idea, but mine would be called Sausages and feature men in wife beaters and well fitted denim.

We both had a good laugh and he told me that there was a hot dog stand in Lincoln Square called Chubby Wieners which features seven-inch dogs with one-inch diameters. I told him he must be joking, but he Googled it and there it was.

I still can't help but chuckle when I see the area on the Centerstage Chicago website that has a user reviews area with a link to read other peoples reviews about Chubby Wieners.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home