Thursday, April 13, 2006

For Your Eyes Only

The news story of an exotic fungal infection transmitted through a contact lens solution caught my eye in more ways than one. Thankfully I have never had a sty, nor have I had pink eye, which one of my co-workers recently did. How he contracted it made me wonder if semen in the eye does burn. I really don't care to find out.

In some ways I should be patient x. The one writing this story and telling Bausch & Lomb that they caused me harm. I find the Midwest to be extremely dry and because of this my eyes can feel like they have two Shrinky Dinks plastic stuck to my corneas.

It also reminds me of when I was growing up and my sister told me that there was a man who lived in the fields by the railroad track who came out of hiding and gave his victims pink eye. I'm not sure if this was some type of urban legend, but none the less I believed it. I must have been all of seven years old.

Predisposed to an already overactive imagination, I could easily conceive a man living by the railroad tracks with pink eyes. That's what I thought they were alluding to.

So it came as no surprise that Baush & Lomb's ReNu with MoistureLoc, my solution of choice has come under some scrutiny by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 109 cases of a fungal infection known as Fusarium have been documented with connection to this solution.

Fusarium is commonly found in plant material and soil in tropical and subtropical regions. It made me reflect on a past experience that had me hospitalized for a liver abscess a few years back.

The question the doctors continually asked me was if I had traveled abroad or come in contact with farm animals. The question seemed so random that it made me want to reply , "why yes doctor, I was feeding a herd of wild goats yesterday and one bit me, should I be alarmed?" I mean c'mon now. Contact with farm animals?

From what I can see, which isn't much if I take my contacts out, it sounds like these are isolated cases. Quite possibly the work of some disgruntled employee who has tampered with some of their shipments. Which undoubtedly is a scary thing. Some things you just don't want to think about especially when the manufacturing company has warned that it is unable to
gage whether the product is linked to a serious eye infection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home