Friday, April 14, 2006

Seemingly Sleepy

I so wanted to go to bed early tonight. I haven't really slept well the past couple of nights as Mother Nature has been having hot flashes. It was so moist when I left this morning that I could easily imagine what it would be like to be a fetus again, the humidity was containing everything.

After some deliberation yesterday evening, I put the air conditioning on as it was just too hot to sleep and I get grouchy without sleep.

I used to believe that sleep was something I did very well, but then life crept in and thus with it my overactive mind, which I've managed to tame in a major way, but sometimes it gets unruly and unleashes itself in some bizarre format in a dream leaving me feeling like a sloth.

Last night I woke at 3:50 am. I remember this because I reached over to check the alarm clock that was next to my bed and that's what it read. The downstairs tenant was having an impromptu electric guitar session. If going downstairs and knocking on their door would have got their attention, I would have done this, but previous attempts to end loudness at pre-dawn have been futile.

Focused and determined I fired up the computer and sent an email to the buildings management company. This is what it said:

Hello Caree,

I am writing you to let you know that the residents in the apartment below Stephen and I have continued to disregard noise ordinances. It is 3:50 am this morning and I've attempted to block out electric guitar playing by putting in a pair of earplugs and turning on the air conditioning as this sometimes helps reduce the sound coming through the floor.

I understand that there is not much that can be done regarding this during daytime hours, but surely playing loud music or electric guitar at 3:50 in the morning is not acceptable. This has happened a few times in the past weeks and is affecting
my sleep pattern which result in me being tired the next day at work.

Can you please help me with this as I feel the only way that this will be given attention by them is if they receive some sort of note from your offices.

Thank you,

Chris

I called their offices during the afternoon and was told she had left for the day. I had not heard a response via email and I was not going to let this one slide. I asked if their was anyone else there who could do something about my complaint. I was told that Caree was the only person who could resolve this.

I was in a funk.

Thankfully a family came to visit the store and they had the most remarkable little girl. She was only nine months old, but she was the sweetest little thing. I paused as I thought, surely this child can read me like a book. I was grouchy, plain and simple. She just smiled and made little noises. Her mother even commented that she was flirting with me. I wanted to state the obvious, which was that she was barking up the wrong tree, but I thought better. This little person saw the good in me even though I was frustrated and couldn't see it myself at this point.

After this family left, my day went a whole lot better and I even chuckled when a customer who I assisted later in the day commented on one of my co-workers as being surly. It was so appropriate that I began to believe I was Cinderella.

I did receive a response to my email too. It said:

Hi Chris

I am super busy today which is why I couldn't take your call.

I will send him a letter and call him. They are supposed to be moving out anyways but I just don't know when.

Caree

Hot damn! They're moving out. Hopefully the next person to move in there will be as quiet as the one before. I need my beauty sleep, how else do you think I stay so well preserved?

2 Comments:

Blogger Debbi said...

Well the past two nights have had mother nature throwing golf ball size hail, rain and hurricane strength winds into my house, keeping me wide awake. And if it isn't nature, its the coyotes.
Hope you get some sleep.

Debbi

2:08 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Thank you Debbi. :)

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home