Friday, May 05, 2006

Damita No

I just listened to an interpretation of Debbie Debs "Lookout Weekend" by Janet Jackson. Her version is titled "Weekend".

I have to wonder if this is an attempt to one up Madonna's ABBA sample, by doing a full-on cover? It hurt my ears to listen to it. In my opinion Janet's vocals have never been strong to begin with, but producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis have known how to successfully create arrangements that compliment this . The beats and clapping on "Weekend" make it sound even weaker than it really is.

I love her homepage with all her pretty, pretty pictures on it and what is up with the line drawing logo of her hands-over-my-tits from the "Janet" cover. Didn't she learn enough from the backlash of her halftime exposure?

This song has been pulled from her site as Janet's message on her homepage says that "Weekend" is not her first single off of her new album, it was her "gift" to her fans. Hmm. Again, I think this was put out there as a sonic gage and it was pulled due to mixed reviews. It makes me sad because I am definitely a child of the 80's and remember when these artists were at the top of their game and weren't struggling to find a sound to keep them ahead of the curve. They were the curve.

None the less, I am pleased that "Get Together" is the next single off of "Confessions on a Dance Floor". Note to Madge, no more crotch shots in this video please, we all know you've got a vagina.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home