Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Little Wing

Yesterday afternoon I was coming down the escalator at work and a couple of my co-workers were crouched by a window that looks out onto one of the exterior balconies. On a table near the window was a small bat.

I thought at first it was dead and had flown into one of the windows and collapsed on the table after contact. It looked so small and fragile lying there. Let it be known that like my father, I am a bona fide animal lover. Me and my sister were often surprised by random cats or dogs throughout our childhood. They would somehow end up in our home under the pretense that they must have just wandered in.

Regardless of this, our cleaning lady must not be an animal lover. She went out on the balcony and pushed it off the table with a broom. I would have half enjoyed seeing it fly into her face for doing something I considered so cruel as I watched this helpless creature fall to the balcony floor.

It landed on its back and its little head moved from side to side.

A few minutes later it did the strangest thing. It literary crawled to a crevice in the balcony tile and wiggled its way into there. I assume to perish as I contacted one of my co-workers today to check on Little Wing and she said it was still there.

2 Comments:

Blogger L said...

How sad and unnecessary! I'm an animal-lover as well and my heart breaks with your story - I posted a similar one on my blog yesterday. Isn't it discouraging to see how people have become so callous to the suffering of other living things?

2:03 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yes it is, and the really sad thing is that I was back at work today and I went out to check on the little bat who is was still there. So as I suspected it must have gone there to die.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home