Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Now with Wings!


What would Memorial Day weekend be without the advent of summer movie releases?

After much coaxing, my roommate Stephen convinced me to go and see X-Men 3: The Last stand. Typically this would not
be my first choice, but If you take it as big screen entertainment and have no comic book frame of reference you'll certainly enjoy yourself. The theater was literally tittering with geeked out fans who had been eagerly awaiting its release and there was much buzz about a hidden clip at the end of the credits (unfortunately I did not stay for this).

Essentially the plot outline deals with a pharmaceutical company that has developed a cure for the mutant gene with the assistance of a "found" mutant that bears an odd resemblance to Jennifer Connelly circa Labyrinth with her head shaved. This character carries an anti-mutant gene in his blood. Picking up where the other two films left off, mutants and human relationships are still strained. The government offers this cure to mutants but the dual side of this of course is that they aren't really offering it so much as they plan a mutant genocide.

The idea being proposed here, one of seemingly voluntary conversion is multi-faceted. Who hasn't thought of what it might be like to be something they're not. I'll leave that one open to interpretation, but this does recall for me a very powerful scene of a young boy who has locked himself in the bathroom and is attempting to remove his flaw. (cutting his wings off) We later see his father using him as a test subject for this vaccine.

I count myself blessed that I do not have parents or friends who ask anything other than for me to be me. It makes me sad to consider those who are not as lucky feeling shame or worse yet having to repress what I feel is inherently genetic and natural, but I digress.

Overall the story was good. The dialog lacked a fine tuned screen writer, but then again as I've said this is summer movie mind fare and it delivers on that level.

I guess I'll just have to wait to see Superman Returns so I can discuss his supposedly controversial bulge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home