Tuesday, August 15, 2006

In The Right Mind?

Unbeknownst to me and I'm certain several others, International Left-Handers Day came and went. Yes folks, August 13 celebrates us wicked ones. It was a big week for lefties as a study released showed left-handed handed men enjoy better paydays than their right-handed counterparts. Obviously this is a broad generalization as I do not fall into that category. Although I do enjoy getting paid. So I guess it's partially true.

The significance of this day is to raise awareness of the challenges left- handed people experience in a predominantly right-handed world. I can still remember those horrible left-handed safety scissors with rounded edges that I believe were not created to cut anything. It also celebrates the strengths and advantages left-handers possess- dispelling superstitions that have surrounded this trait. For thousands of years left-handedness has been met with prejudice and suspicion, resulting in an almost universal attempt to suppress it.

Some personal challenges I have encountered as a lefty are:

1. Notebook binders are on the left side which makes for smudged writing, if I do not pay attention my hand will drag across my scrawl. I print everything when I do write as my cursive is hideous, but this could also be due to the fact that it didn't interest me when I was learning how to write cursive. This leads to slower handwriting and may have been the source of anxiety for me when taking tests.

2. You cannot sit next to a right-handed person while eating a meal, you'll knock elbows.

3.Desks at college were designed for the right-handed people, an arm rest exists to support the right elbow leaving nothing but air for the left.

Despite this stigma there have been many famous left-handed people and it has been said that the right brain hemisphere is more active in left-handed people thusly associated with genius and correlation with artistic and visual skill. Heck, that is why I decided to major in Graphic Design as opposed to Architecture. Which may also account for my neurotic attention to detail.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Would you square dance with me too?

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home