Friday, February 13, 2009

fueled.up

What to do when you’ve become jaded by visiting cities such as San Francisco and Minneapolis that embrace green practices including city-wide recycling bins that have sort glass, paper, aluminum et al?

Having used up the remainder of the petite green propane canister for our mini grill a couple of days ago, I gathered up two of them to take with me to my trip to the local hardware shop where I purchase them.

When I entered said hardware shop on my lunch break this afternoon I was greeted by an androgynous woman. I immediately thought looks like a man talks like a lady- there must be some sort of creative concept there, but I’m lost on it at the moment. Maybe she stirred my unconscious into thinking of the Secret Anti-Perspirant slogan "Strong Enough For A Man, But Made For A Woman".

Anyhow, she took me back to where the canisters were and as I was getting ready to unsheath the used ones from my cloth satchel, I asked if they recycled them. (A wee side note here is that this hardware shop is in Andersonville, one of the most eco-friendly hoods in Chicagoland.) I purchased biodegradable garbage bags from this shop, so I assumed they would recycle these tiny tanks too.

The androgynous wonder told me I could just throw them away. I purchased the propane and called Wally as I exited the store. Somehow this didn’t feel right, that and the fact that I saw an amazing stone bust of Zeus in the front window of an Interiors shop on the Clark Street strip. "That would look fantastic in our home" I told him, followed by "maybe we can get it cheap if they go out of business".

Shortly thereafter I was just distracted by an elderly woman across the street wearing a teal blue faux fur crop jacket and hot pink Crocs. "It must take a strong woman to wear an outfit like that", replied my co-worker Brad.

Yes, I agreed -- A strong woman indeed.

2 Comments:

Blogger hipsterhomo said...

Are you strong enough to be that woman?

Hardware store androgyny could be called ALOL -- cuz it's the opposite of LOLA. it walks like man but sounds like a woman.

1:38 PM  
Blogger ally said...

yesterday alien asked again to be called Lulu Belle

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home